About the BCMB
The Beverage Container Management Board (BCMB) is the regulatory authority for beverage container recycling in Alberta. The BCMB was established as a management board under Alberta’s Environmental and Protection and Enhancement Act. It is also a non-for-profit organization incorporated under the Societies Act of Alberta. The BCMB leads the development of policy and programs that enables the recycling of beverage containers in Alberta.
About the Position
The BCMB is currently looking for an Investigations Officer to join our Edmonton based team. Reporting to the Director, Operations, this self-motivated, highly organized, thorough and dependable candidate is the primary individual responsible for conducting investigations into potential breaches of the Beverage Container Recycling Regulation (BCRR), BCMB Bylaws, Permits and Policies. Due to the dynamic nature of the beverage container recycling industry, the BCMB is seeking a candidate who is adaptable, embraces change and continually strives for betterment.
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead Investigations: Conduct investigations on behalf of the BCMB; drafting information requests, preparing, conducting, and documenting interviews, obtaining and documenting evidence, witnessing audits or delegating to supporting staff. Researching and vetting potential third-party contracts. Interviewing, drafting proposals and hiring third-party contractors as required. Communicating to the Director, Operations formally via Memorandums and managing the investigative timelines.
- Drafting Reports to Complaints Director/ Hearing Prep. Disclosure: Prepare written reports outlining alleged contraventions, facts, evidence, conclusions, and relevant supporting documentation for the Director, Operations, liaising with legal counsel for final drafts. Managing and submitting final reports to Complaints Director within approved timelines.
- Prepare Disclosure for Adjudicative Hearing: Work with legal counsel to complete disclosure when Adjudicative Hearings are scheduled.
- Present at Adjudicative Hearing: Testify and be cross-examined in regard to the contents of final reports, and process of investigations.
- Data Analysis: using analytical software, monitor specific trends and other relevant data, initiate information requests, compliance reviews, or investigations as necessary.
- Management: Direct and manage staff assigned to investigative files. Delegate investigative tasks to BCMB staff (Registrations, Compliance) as needed. Ensure administrative duties are completed in an accurate and timely manner and provide guidance and supervision throughout investigative process.
- Depot Network Notifications: Draft and distribute urgent communications and follow-up as necessary.
- Support: Assist Compliance Team with depot inspections, retail inspections and Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation (ABCRC) inspections, as needed.
- This position requires a minimum of a degree in an accredited community college or university in a technical, enforcement or environmental field, or another related field.
- 3-5 years experience in investigations, compliance or another related field
- Knowledge and experience with regulation, by-laws and investigative procedures
- Ability to work to deadlines with minimal or no supervision
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills Computer proficiency, with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and Internet Web Browser
- Supervisory skills and experience managing third-party contracts
- Self-motivated, with ability to work in a team environment
- Conflict resolution and mediation skills are an asset
- Arbutus Analyzer (data access and analysis solution) knowledge considered an asset
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Operators License and reliable vehicle are required for business travel
The BCMB offers a competitive salary and compensation package including excellent benefits with an RRSP matching program and health spending account.
Qualified Candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 4:30 pm, May 15, 2019, please quote Investigations Officer in the title of your email.
We thank all those that apply but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.