About the BCMB
The Beverage Container Management Board (BCMB) is the regulatory authority for beverage container recycling in Alberta. Established as a management board under Alberta’s Environmental and Protection and Enhancement Act, the BCMB is also a non-for-profit organization. BCMB leads the development of policy and programs that enables the collection and recycling of beverage containers in Alberta.
About the position
The BCMB is currently looking for an Investigations Officer to join our Edmonton based team. Reporting to the Director, Operations, this self-motivated, highly organized, thorough and dependable candidate is the primary individual responsible for conducting investigations into potential breaches of the Beverage Container Recycling Regulation (BCRR), BCMB Bylaws, Permits and Policies.
About the candidate
- You are self-motivated and independent
- You are a problem solver who easily learns systems and processes
- You have a professional and friendly demeanor but are comfortable asking and addressing hard questions and situations
- You are a task orientated planner and decision maker, who understands that the small details matter. You enjoy records management and reporting
- You enjoy enhancing work culture and jumping in to help the organization and your colleagues succeed
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead Investigations: Primary individual responsible for conducting investigations into potential breaches of BCRR, BCMB By-laws, Permits, Policies, or agreements. Includes: Drafting Information Requests, preparing, conducting, and documenting interviews, obtaining and documenting evidence, witnessing audits, researching and vetting potential third-party contracts, interviewing, hiring third-party contractors as required, communicating to Complaints Director formally via memorandums, managing the Investigative Timelines
- Drafting Reports: Prepare written reports outlining alleged contraventions, facts, evidence, conclusions, and relevant supporting documentation for the Director, Operations, liaising with legal counsel for final drafts, managing and submitting final reports to Complaints Director within approved timelines.
- Adjudicative Hearings: Work with legal counsel to complete disclosure when Adjudicative Hearings are scheduled, testify and be cross-examined in regard to the contents of final reports, and process of investigations.
- Data Analysis: Using analytical software, monitor specific trends and other relevant data, initiate information requests, compliance reviews, or investigations as necessary.
- Management: Direct and manage staff assigned to investigative files. Delegate investigative tasks to BCMB staff (Registrations, Compliance) as needed. Ensure administrative duties are completed in an accurate and timely manner and provide guidance and supervision throughout investigative process.
- Support: Assist Compliance Team with inspections as needed.
- This position requires a minimum of a diploma in an accredited community college or university in a compliance, enforcement or environmental background, and Certified Fraud Examiner designation, or equivalent training.
- 5-7 years’ experience in Compliance, Investigations or a related field. A combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Ability to work to deadlines with minimal or no supervision
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Computer proficiency
- Conflict resolution and mediation skills are an asset
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Operators License and reliable vehicle are required for business travel
The BCMB offers a competitive salary and compensation package including excellent benefits with a RRSP matching program and health spending account.
Qualified Candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote "Investigations Officer" in the title of your email. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all those that apply but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary Range: $63,000 - $85,000